1. Identifying the Hiring Needs
Whether a job opening is newly formed or just vacated, you cannot find what you need if you don’t know what you need in the first place. So, your recruitment process should start with identifying the vacancies that exist followed by analyzing the job specifications including the knowledge, skills and experience needed for the role.
Here’s how you can determine your hiring needs:
- Figure out where the gaps are in your current team. Check if you have new needs in terms of ability, performance or personality. Ask yourself if you need someone to take care of something that is not being addressed currently. This will tell you that there is a hiring need.
- Keep a track of input versus output when it comes to your team. See if there is an increase in workload that needs to be addressed by hiring.
- Regularly analyse performance and make a list of missing qualities, qualifications, skills and proficiencies that you need to add to your team. This can also signal towards hiring needs.
- Be mindful of existing employees leaving. This is definitely when you will have a hiring need.
Every time you recognize that there is indeed a hiring need, act before it becomes a pressing matter.