Every year, the tech industry expands, and so does the demand for talented tech professionals. Recruiting and attracting industry professionals can be difficult. However, with careful sourcing, you can uncover those who are a good fit for your company.
GitHub, despite not being labeled as a recruitment platform, is a great place to find outstanding talent. Here, you can find more information about the projects on which the tech professionals have worked, their interests, and their collaborations. These are the factors that can have a significant impact on your hiring decisions.
If you need to fill technical positions in your firm, give GitHub a try. But first, here is all you need to know about the world’s most popular software development and version control platform.
What is GitHub?
GitHub is a developer community where members can share code, manage projects, and create innovative software solutions. As a Recruiting Manager, you can also examine the Developer’s contributions to numerous open-source projects. In addition to this, the site provides GitHub apps and an easy-to-use API to help developers with software development.
Here’s why the platform is particularly useful for spotting new IT talent.
Why you should use GitHub as a recruiting channel?
Take a look at the points below to understand why you should consider using GitHub to recruit IT professionals.
- You can see the projects to which the Developers have contributed code and those on which they are actively working in the repositories section of GitHub.
- The site also includes a library and project histories.
- This platform also allows Developers to share and publish their personal work with the rest of the world.
- You can also observe the issues they report and the manner in which they do so. This allows you to assess their ability to communicate around a problem and their readiness to collaborate with others to solve it.
- Users on GitHub can also receive star ratings from their peers for the projects they have worked on. You can use these star ratings to figure out the kind of response the Developers get from the community.
- You can also look at each GitHub member’s number of followers. A follower count of 50 or more is considered to be a decent quantity.
How to recruit on GitHub?
Sourcing on GitHub is simple and takes only 3 steps.
Step 1: Register for an account
Unregistered visitors are restricted and have limited access to the site. Hence, sign up for a free account on GitHub. It is simple and quick.
Step 2: Search for suitable candidates using the search bar
You will be able to access the platform’s search database upon setting up your account. Filter Developers by region, programming language, number of followers, star ratings, and other criteria using GitHub’s advanced search tool.
Step 3: Locate contact information
Once you have found potential candidates, the next step is to contact them. You will be able to find the candidate’s email address either in the search results or in their bio.
How to make recruiting on GitHub successful?
Make your efforts more fruitful by combining your knowledge of how to recruit on GitHub with an effective recruiting strategy. Paying attention to this area can help you not only attract top talent, but also build a strong employer brand. Take a look at how you can go about doing the same.
- To grab the attention of new prospects, use your current employees as brand ambassadors. It will not only help your existing Developers in building their own brand, but it will also benefit your branding.
- Actively engage with the GitHub community to become a part of it. You can do so by keeping up with conversations about different technologies. Learn how to use the platform and participate actively in the development of professional relationships.
- Send personalized emails to potential candidates. This demonstrates that you have read the candidate’s profile and understand how they can help your company. Also, do not forget to mention how joining your organization will help them advance their careers.
- Finally, use ATS software to support your sourcing efforts. A one-stop software that automates your recruiting process while also enhancing your employer brand, is something you should look for. A recruiting software such as Jobsoid can help you achieve this.
Apart from making your sourcing efforts easier, Jobsoid has a number of other features that can help you with a variety of recruitment tasks, like job posting, candidate filtering, and team collaboration, to name a few. Simply sign up for a 14-day free trial account to begin recruiting the best of IT professionals.